FUTA mourns as students protest colleague’s death

Students of Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) have protested the death of their colleague identified as Ayomide Akeredolu, who died on Thursday.

Ayomide, a 500-level student who was said to have slumped in his hostel and was immediately rushed to the University’s Health Centre were he reportedly passed away.

His death, however triggered protest on the account that the deceased couldn’t access adequate healthcare from the facility.

The irked students expressed their displeasure on Akure-Ilesha expressway, leaving many motorists stranded for several hours.

An eyewitness who is a student said “We rushed the guy to the health center around 8:30 pm, when we got there, there was power outage, and throughout the oxygen set up, CPR and injections they gave him, the light wasn’t restored, we had to use our flashlights, hard to believe that there’s no back up power supply in the”

“Also, Sequel to this incident earlier yesterday, the health center refused to attend to another student, a former FUTASU Vice President who was in a critical condition and needed emergency attention because she wasn’t with her ID CARD and the Health Center Director said students should do their worst when accosted.

“The students are expressing their displeasure with a peaceful demonstration and calls on the government to come to their aid as there has been series of similar incidents in the past and demonstrations ended with unfulfilled promises,” the protesting students said

Reacting, the management of the Institution mourned the deceased, noting that the protest was unconnected with the death of the student.

FUTA’s Director, Corporate Communication, Adegbenro Adebanjo disclosed this in a statement on entitled “FUTA Reacts To Protest By Students And Death Of One Of Its Students”, on Friday.

The statement partly reads, “from reports pieced together, Ayomide Akeredolu slumped in his hostel and all attempts and medical intervention at resuscitation even at the Health Centre failed with the doctors recording that he was brought in dead”

“According to the doctor on duty , “The student was rushed to the Health Centre at about 8:50 pm on Thursday 24th August, 2023. He was brought in dead. Efforts to resuscitate him through Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and oxygen therapy proved abortive. He was subsequently taken to the UNIMED Teaching Hospital, Akure by the medical personnel on duty inside the University ambulance.”

“Understandably, his friends and colleagues are devastated by the sad Development. The management joins them to mourn at this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with our students and the bereaved family.”

“May the Good Lord grant his soul eternal repose and give the family and friends the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss”

“However due to some perceived misgivings about services at the University Health Centre, students embarked on a protest on Friday August 25,2023 .

“It is important to point out that the protest was not directly related to the death of the student.”

Adegbenro added that, “the Representatives of the students, at a meeting with Management called at the behest of the Vice Chancellor, pointed out some lacuna in the process of accessing services at the Health Centre”

“The Management in the course of the meeting directed that immediate remedial measures be taken to address the lacuna and other issues raised by the students.

You may also like

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *