The Ondo State Security Network Agency, codenamed Amotekun, on Friday paraded 32 suspects arrested for various criminal offences ranging from kidnapping and anti-grazing law violations to conspiracy, assault and theft across the state.
Parading the suspects at the Amotekun headquarters in Akure, the state capital, the Commander of the Corps, Akogun Adetunji Adeleye, said the arrests followed intensified surveillance and intelligence-led operations in collaboration with other security agencies.
Adeleye disclosed that security agencies had recently observed a renewed influx of unemployed young men into the state from northern parts of the country, noting that some of them could not provide verifiable reasons for their presence in Ondo State.
“We have been doing everything possible, in collaboration with other security agencies, to profile such persons and return those without legitimate reasons back to their states,” he said.
Reacting to a viral social media video alleging that bandits had invaded Akure, Adeleye dismissed the claim, stressing that no such incident occurred. He revealed that 42 persons were, however, recently discovered concealed inside a bitumen truck loaded with bitumen, adding that investigations and profiling of the individuals were ongoing.
Breaking down the latest arrests, the Amotekun boss said 12 suspects were arrested for contravening public law and order, three for offences related to anti-grazing and farmer-herder clashes, while 17 suspects were linked to kidnap-related crimes an increase in kidnapping cases recorded in the state.
Among those arrested were three suspects identified as Ibrahim (40), Yenusa (30) and Abdukadri (25) who allegedly rustled 10 cows belonging to a Fulani herder and attempted to kill him at Iduani.
In Oba Akoko, Adeleye said sustained operations led to the arrest of two suspects, Pius aged 23 and John (35), who were apprehended while attempting to collect a ransom linked to kidnapping incidents in the area. He added that other members of the gang were still at large, but efforts were ongoing to apprehend them.
Other suspects, including Elora, Alilu, Adamu and Kamau, aged between 24 and 29, were arrested around Ile-Oluji and Ondo town. In Akindada Camp and Odigbo axis, Mohamed Abubakar, Abdullahi Yakubu, Abba Alilu (29) and others aged between 22 and 35 were arrested, with one suspect re-arrested after previously escaping from lawful custody over a kidnapping case.
The Amotekun commander further disclosed that three suspects were arrested at Agbubu-Akure Garage with items they could not account for, while four others were arrested at Benin-Akure Garage for conspiracy, assault and breach of peace.
He said additional arrests were made in Elebeka Reserve Forest and Ifon for conspiracy, stealing and anti-grazing offences, while suspects were also apprehended for motorcycle and water pump theft in different parts of the state.
Adeleye assured residents that Ondo State remains peaceful, stressing that criminal activities are on the decline. He added that all suspects have been handed over to relevant security agencies for further investigation and prosecution, while ongoing operations are being intensified to apprehend other fleeing suspects.
“Investigations are still ongoing. Our men are combing the forests to apprehend the real culprits. The situation is still very fresh, and details will be made public as investigations progress,” he said.
Discover more from Trace News Magazine
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.